Saturday, November 04, 2023

homicide ep 12 s 5, 'surprising what people can do' (and a bit of 'a nameless grave')

This is a very fine, tight, well-scripted, documentarily fascinating episode of Homicide first screened on 8 April 1975. Thrillingly it stars Hilda Scurr who I've discussed here before, as well as Peter Corbett. You don't need to know the various bits and pieces of the story, but here are some of the locations. 

Corbett's character is called Kenneth Cook. This is him (yes, he's just been shot in the arm, don't worry he's ok) in the car park of Coles New World. I am assuming this is the Coles in Swanston St (I may be wrong).  

Age 29 December 1972 p. 8. Presumably this is Coles' nice new (or at least nice newish and recalibrated for Coles) supermarket car park. It has other shops in it, which I can't quite imagine. 

I'm not sure where this is, I think I might be able to find it out. I also don't know who owned the car with the registration number KSN 968, sorry. 



This is Kenneth Cook standing in the car park of his block of flats, which today is known as Perry Palms (124 Perry St). He's looking towards 200 Hoddle St, which was at that time the HQ of Patterson Press. To the right of the picture is the huge Hoddle St Housing Commission complex, but the choice was made to omit this. 
2 and 4 Egan St Richmond, the Hilda Scurr character Frances Brown lives here. 
Egan st looking east. 
Hilda Scurr was brilliant. 

Bizarrely in the episode 'A Nameless Grave' (which aired two weeks later on 22 April) the Ds are in Egan St again - this time trying to visit Sheila Florence's character. 
Just above Dennis Grosvenor's head you can see 2 Egan St. I suppose they were all set up in Egan St so why not fit in a bit of extra filming. 


No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...