Sunday, July 31, 2022

ottawa citizen comics page


I know you're hankering for another month of Flook particularly now Rufus and Flook are in Helsinki, but I thought you might enjoy seeing a full comics section from the Ottawa Citizen, which is where I'm sourcing the Flooks from lately. These two pages were presented this way pretty regularly throughout the week in the Citizen in 1952, but not in any regular part of the paper - sometimes it's closer to the front (this is pp. 21-22 of the 11 Aug 1952 edition) but sometimes it is almost the last page. I have no idea how newspapers were figured out at this time. I mean I've seen a 'flat plan' as we used to call them in the magazine trade, but I seriously don't know how much the layout of the newspaper was even written down. I guess somehow they had to make sure that everything was in it. Not quite a lost art but I bet a lot of people dedicated their life to this kind of thing and far fewer do now. 


They had some great strips. King Aroo is particularly delightful. 


No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...