Monday, May 24, 2021

oh good more records

I am an unreconstructed Swell Maps fan yes it is true and so when I heard this album, called Mayday Signals, was coming out I was up for it. It's a collection of mainly unreleased recordings by them either before they actually entered a studio or, around side 4 I think, a bit later. It's one of those stupid things: if it's a third as good as Jane from Occupied Europe then it's gonna be pretty good. I will let you know. 

So I bought this online from Monorail in Glasgow and well since I was buying one thing from them I figured I may as well buy two. I had been meaning to get this since I heard it in Glasgow whenever, October 2019? So I bought it as well. 

So far so good, it's the only one of these I've played so far. So while I was walking to the bank to do my ID check and release the loan contracts, I got an email from work to say there was a parcel for me there, they do that now, I'm not sure why but I'm not against it. It was the two records above. I am not sure why they went to my work but I had ordered stuff from Monorail a few years ago back when I lived in Albion and I more commonly had things sent to my workplace because I didn't want to have to go to Sunshine West to pick them up if the postal delivery worker didn't leave them. So then I got home, got these out and started to regard them, when there was a knock at the door. It was a postal delivery worker with some more records that apparently I had ordered some time ago, though I don't remember doing it.  They were these: 

That's right not one but two Barbara records
And a John Coltrane record which I probably just grabbed because I was already buying the other things and so postage was free and so it was probably a negligible cost but I'm certainly looking forward to it*
Oh and this! Which is the EP that came free with the first pressings of the second Martha and the Muffins album, but which wasn't in my copy of that album. So, for what it's worth, I have it. I definitely do not remember ordering this. Hmm, actually, or any of it. Perhaps I was drunk. 
Don't look down your nose at me my life's been really hard. 

*Actually a Wilbur Harden/John Coltrane album that was reissued in the mid-60s with Coltrane's name given absolutely greater prominence 

4 comments:

Person I want to be said...

Will be waiting for Mayday signals review. I think i heard "Read About Seymour" from "the Boy from nowhere..." comp, interesting is it the same or alternative version. Gonna listen to this too. That's fun that they realised it just before May. And why they are calling for help?

About records, i have this strange feeling that i bought the chills LP about 4 years ago but i don't remember was it real or was it only my intentions. But it is somehow mysterious in a pleasent way feeling that it may waiting for me somewhere. Or it could accidentally have been delivered to someone else who didn't remember buying it.

David said...

I don't know why they're calling for help, but Nikki Sudden's lyrics before he went solo were, for some weird, weird reasons always full of cut-up boy's adventure/military imagery that I assume he got from his childhood. It was in some ways creative and unusual for the period, actually for any period, but in other ways it was (and is) hard to swallow. I always feel he is avoiding introspection. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the way to get 'into' Swell Maps stuff is via Jane from Occupied Europe, which I'm pretty sure is their best album, although both the 'real' albums are good (I definitely have a soft spot for Whatever Happens Next... as well).

I have a strange feeling I have bought things all the time, that I either never got or can no longer find. I think the servants are stealing from me.

Person I want to be said...

I guess my first interaction with his music was through Kiss You Kidnapped Charabanc "Quick thing" and "Rebel grave". So i was pretty ready and excited for those themes (Adrian Borland i think also was into war/soldier things, but i think they focused on different eras). Love Jane from occupied europe too, but i didn't have sources to listen their "not real" albums, that tasty snack i think i will leave for future delightful time. I like the way that they did so much stuff, i mean all of the participants in their career (rip), that you could probably called it a universe. World needs a decent guide too it (if you didn't do it already which i think wouldn't be a surprise).

Maybe those cats of yours organised underground market?

David said...

They couldn't organise a chook raffle

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...