Thursday, March 01, 2018

joke

These jokes that are suddenly all over fb are preposterous and addictive. I assume they are written in 90% good English by people from NESB backgrounds but perhaps the near-Englishness is part of the proposed appeal. It's 100% of the appeal for me. For instance this one from here:
One day a young handsome guy Richie was walking down the street when a frog called to him: “Boy, if you kiss me, I will turn into a charmful princess.”
The young man picked up the frog, smiled at it and put it in his pocket.
A short while later, the frog said, “Boy, if you kiss me, I will be a beautiful princess and I’ll be yours for all my life.”
Richie took the frog from his pocket, smiled at it and put it back.
Now the frog was upset. “Boy, what is the matter?” the frog cried. “I have told you that I am a beautiful princess, and if you kiss me, I’ll be yours!”
Richie took the frog from his pocket, looked at it and said: “Look, I’m a mechanical engineer.I have no time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog is cool.”
SO:
'guy Richie'? Like, the film director? Is this supposed to be a reference to Guy Ritchie? Or is that just... ok, I'll leave it at wtf.
'Charmful'? Yes good.
'Look, I'm a mechanical engineer'. Is this a stereotype?! It's not like 'look, I work in IT' - which I guess is a stereotype (it still wouldn't be funny). Is the joke admiring of the mechanical engineer for taking this attitude? Boy, those guys sure work! Or is it contemptuous? Or... ok, wtf. 

No comments:

maribyrnong walk yesterday

Yesterday Perry and I went to an old favourite of ours, Afton Street Conservation Reserve. At least, we tried to. I overshot trying to find ...