Saturday, June 16, 2018

Vale Nation Review on wings sir

I am greatly enjoying Moss Cass and the Greening of the Australian Labor Party but this little skerrick on page 187 is an example of something that gets my goat quite often. It’s in the field of ‘then-premier’, ‘then-wife’ etc but in a way, worse.

Nation Review went out of business in the early 1980s. I know people who are sentient adults approaching middle age who would never have known it. I see so little point in adding ‘now defunct’ as a descriptor. It was a very influential magazine in its time (not really a newspaper, by the way – a weekly (?) tabloid, in its later years an actual small-format publication, maybe a monthly? With a colour cover).


I guess I feel that the ‘now defunct’ pinpoints not a failing in the authors of the Moss Cass book per se, but the weird world of people’s extreme disengagement with history in the present century whereby all things may or may not exist simultaneously, so we had better be careful. ‘Then-Prime Minister Billy Hughes’ just in case you suspect that Hughes, who died in the 1940s I think, is still Prime Minister Billy Hughes. Is this a gripe worth expressing? Whatever, as I’ve said before, my blog my rules.

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...