Saturday, February 05, 2011

moonee ponds creek this morning

It's been more flooded near our place in recent memory, but it's still quite impressive. It's incredible how much plastic crap is disgorged when it rains heavily. I suppose this is a very recent phenomenon (last 20 years?). I mean, I remember when plastic shopping bags were a cool new thing.

In the most extensive flood we've seen, the water came up to the top of the scoreboard which you see in the distance below (or if you can't see it, let's say it covered the bridge and taken from this same position the water would have filled 2/3 of this image). (Make that 3/4):

2 comments:

Richard F said...

do you really remember when plastic shopping bags were new? how old were ya? did people use these reusable things, or was it brown paper? the latter, presumably...

David Nichols said...

You brought your own string bags. Paper bags or cardboard boxes from the supermarket. My memory on when plastic bags came in would be too unreliable. But I do remember that, for some time, they were quite swanky. Probably early 1980s.

weekend

I just get so tired. I have been extremely exhausted on weekends recently. But it might be because of the heatwaves.  So, see below. Do you ...