Wednesday, February 16, 2011

8 arms to hold you

There is a spider which regularly makes a huge web outside our door every evening in summer. This morning I noticed it was communing with another spider of the same variety; they were touching leg ends or whatever it is spiders have at the end of their legs. I went and put the battery in the camera and when I got back they were enmeshed thus:
I don't know what they were doing but when I went out again about 3/4 of an hour later they'd done it. The web was more or less gone (the spider takes down most of the web each morning leaving just an overhead strand which is presumably a hassle to put up so you'd only want to have to do it once) and so were they.

4 comments:

bls said...

this is my worst nightmare.torap

David Nichols said...

Those weird American phobias. They are up high and aren't interested in eating or otherwise getting involved with anything bigger than them.

Torap? Tasmanian Off Road Advisory Panel?

Petticoats and Chrome said...

Your little valentine arachnids! I love how they started out, just holding hands.

So domesticated: tidying up their web.

Perhaps you could give them names.

David Nichols said...

Liz and Wanrie? As far as I can tell it's all over now

weekend

I just get so tired. I have been extremely exhausted on weekends recently. But it might be because of the heatwaves.  So, see below. Do you ...