Saturday, February 25, 2023

me kaksi no. 8 1962 - rikoksentekijän rakkaus

 

I am looking forward to translating this issue of ME Kaksi into English for myself and perhaps you too. The bulk of the magazine is taken up with a story called 'The Love of a Criminal'.  

Australia had a lot of these kinds of publications, too, and I think in my country they were essentially long American comic-strip stories reformatted to paperback size for a small local market, though I don't know why they had to be redone in this way although in some instances there was local censorship at play (my grandmother worked in the 1950s on these kinds of publications, where she took the sex out of American romances, though I don't know if she did it for comics or just text stories). What I particularly like though is when a local artist has taken work and put it in differently shaped panels, which means (as is very obvious here) there is a lot of blank space. Sometimes there's a half-hearted attempt to fit this space (in the last panel above, I'm pretty sure that the leftmost section has been instituted by a different artist for ME Kaksi). The talks balloon in that last panel is grotesque, a slapdash perversion. (The text means 'follow me'.) As you see as well the text in the balloon on the top right-hand side ('where are we going?') has been so poorly placed that the question mark has had to sit outside the balloon.

Apparently the woman in the story is a doctor, Doctor Anni Barton, unless I've misunderstood. I have to get to the bottom of this. If nothing else, it distracts me from Homicide, which I'm sure you're thoroughly sick of. I mean I was reading about people with gambling addictions today and how gambling strokes or massages or inflames some neurone they have, I bet Homicide does that for me. DW I have some really great Finnish records, and some others, to write about, as well as things like the above. 

No comments:

what think ye of monk

I have been watching a little bit of Monk lately. The show was on air between 2002-2009 and I never watched it then (as I recall) but I have...