Friday, September 06, 2024

tiedonjano-patsas (two weeks ago)

It's my last day in Oulu and I feel ready to go, though I certainly hope to be back again. My train to Tampere is in two hours. I am all packed and kind of unable to do anything in the airbnb because that would require putting something away or cleaning up or whatever. So I am perching. 

I saw on mapsonmyphone that there was a statue in a park north of here an hour's walk or so, so I figured, I'll go and see what on earth that could be. You already know what it is. 

The book is entitled Animals. 

The context is not lovely. There is a park, but all around is shopping centre/city square type infrastructure which sadly is a bit dead, though not entirely. Behind the statue (to the left of the top image, where you can't see it, and the building you can see in the next image) you can see a library (I don't know whether it's open/functioning). This ravintola is open though - you can get kebabit if you want. Or pizzit. 
However this place - Starburger - is empty and closed and so are the other businesses that once occupied this row of buildings, which are for sale. 
Wish I'd brought my deck
This would make a wicked tatuointi
I could get 'Myllytie for life' on the other shoulder. 
By the way, if your worldview has stretched adequately beyond a small street in northern Oulu that you don't know what Myllytie is, this is Myllytie. Of course it's for life. 
OK back to some peaceful landscapes denuded of people or at least of their idiocy. 
I was on a bus yesterday that went down what I thought was a footpath, I actually thought the bus driver must have taken a wrong turn or a short cut but no. Anyway this is similar situation - a narrow walkway that is also a bus route. Apparently. 



Once again Oulu I really only scratched your surface but I found it very satisfying. It was just a scratch. 

No comments:

the flagstaff hotel, who knew

...a lot of people probably but I didn't. I have started (gulp) watching Division 4. This is an establishing shot from the episode '...