Friday, September 20, 2024

flagstaff hotel #2

Went past the former Flagstaff Hotel a couple of days ago and got a shot of what is probably the only remaining element of the deco detailing, I am referring to the bit between the 'window' below (with the gruesome artefacts) and the rollerdoor. I don't know what you call that but I assume it has no function, and it wasn't removed because why bother (and I suppose if you removed it you'd have to put something else there instead to stop the rain getting in). I could be wrong but looking at this picture now I think I can see some words above that window, perhaps the word 'Hotel'? Probably. 

So what's here is hideous but I had a little browse through the newspapers and it would seem that in the early 90s the block was slated to become a high-rise (ten storey?) apartment block, that didn't happen clearly, I am ambivalent about whether that would have been a better outcome than Witches in Britches, I mean this is an ugly building now, but its former incarnation wasn't that delightful (can't speak for what it looked like originally, it certainly has the dimensions of a 19th century hotel). 

No comments:

laura's launch

I am torn between a strong desire to commemorate Laura's extraordinary achievement as author and publisher of Making the Shrine which wa...