Thursday, September 05, 2024

kind of aimless wandering (two weeks ago)

Last full day in Oulu.

Today I didn't really have a plan. I did some good things but it took a while to get it together. I guess this is kind of the problem with being away, you are propelled for a while (a week, say) by the novelty of it all and then at a certain point you do kind of grind to a bit of a halt - don't you. Well, I halted this morning but I'm a fixer and I fixed it, eventually. 

So as you know I am a vegan, and not only am I one, I like to support vegan businesses when I can, so I was keen to find out what was vegan in Oulu. I still am but I suspect I cannot. When you search 'vegan' on mapsonmyphone you get a place called 'Vegan Love' (ugh) and it's open and it's highly recommended. Only it's not anywhere. I even went into H&M next door to where it's meant to be, to see if there was a way into this building, but there isn't, and there is no Vegan Love. The name is off-putting but even more off-putting is the fact that it no longer exists. 

Saw a bird. 
So I went to the Red Cross op shop. Should I have bought this radio? 
I got over my affront at seeing all the English language books being (1) by Sidney Sheldon and (2) categorised as 'foreign languages', I ask you! Anyway I cheekily slipped in something I didn't want anymore. I am sure the Ouluans will adore it. 
Posters I guess. 
Picture of a small fox. 
Was in this book. Too cute. 'Ville' means 'wild'. I can't explain that. 
Walking in a big, um, kind of commons area. 

This was a treat, finding this second hand shop, which is underground - in an ex-car park maybe? 'Sininen Pysäkki' means 'blue stop', so there must be something else to that translation. 

Good picture I considered buying. 

The shop
'Uppo Nalle' means, get this, 'submerged teddy bear'. Hence his facial expression I guess. 
A page from Uppo Nalle.
...and a book I actually bought. 

The day, as I write, is not over and I am considering going out for dinner - I could - maybe pizza out on the main drag. But I will need to be hungry first. 

No comments:

the flagstaff hotel, who knew

...a lot of people probably but I didn't. I have started (gulp) watching Division 4. This is an establishing shot from the episode '...