Monday, September 02, 2024

oulu (two weeks ago)

So the train trip to Oulu, the last leg of my journey insofar as it's the furthest I'm going, was long (6 hours) but uneventful. The most eventful thing was the two women who sat next to me, and they weren't eventful, but the first one slept like a demon all the way to Tampere (the ticket checker saw the depth of her sleep, winked at me (!?) and then nudged her shoulder with his checking implement to wake her up and check her ticket) after which she went back to sleep immediately then at Tampere she leapt up like a professional sleep/waker and vanished. Her replacement from Tampere to Oulu was even less interesting but wow, was just on her phone solid for four hours, it was impressive. 

I was kind of annoyed they were there because charging my phone/laptop meant stringing cables across the window seat to the outlet above that seat, but my copassenger (the second one, phone lady) didn't even acknowledge, though I felt it was a little precarious. 

Got in at 8pm. 

My airbnb apartment is a gem, my host Leena is a recently retired literary researcher (that was the best translation she could give me of what she did) and poetry teacher, Finnish poetry is her passion, the books are everywhere, she has LPs and CDs all over the place, I was amazed to see sticking out of her LPs the one Kumma Heppu & Lopunajan Voidellut album I own and I said 'I have this album' and she said 'my ex-boyfriend played bass on that album.'

This morning I went to the S-market (it's open 24 hours, thank you jesus) and bought some coffee to make coffee, as Leena has a stovetop coffee maker, and I saw this bird. 

More soon everyone!

No comments:

the flagstaff hotel, who knew

...a lot of people probably but I didn't. I have started (gulp) watching Division 4. This is an establishing shot from the episode '...