Thursday, August 06, 2026

6 july travel to and in tallinn

Next leg of the journey. Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on Monday 6 July. Met with good friends Franziska and Steve at the ferry terminal and we travelled in comfort and style alongside a billion other randos to Tallinn.

So an element of Estonian housing at least in this part of town and this era (um - the interwar independence era I think?) was wooden houses/apartment blocks with brick elements. It takes some getting used to. 


But having said that (and not really illustrated it at all because those are just a couple of pictures as we walked to our digs) there is quite a bit of variety.

Ok so see below the brick in the sandwich, someone said that was a fire transference prevention measure.


Here's an amazing place you'll never get over. It's like Cuba. As I imagine Cuba. I mean, a building that might be in Cuba. 

Amazing

OK the above probably are every tourist's typical photography but this doubles down on that...

But how could I not?! 


Right up from where the above picture was taken, someone has, um stencilled? I don't actually know how they did it, but some graffiti? 

It says ''I discovered/yourself/from dreaming/of moments/, what/now/okay/in hand' or actually probably more accurately, 'I found myself dreaming of moments that are now here'. 

Old town is old

If these walls could speak, they'd tell of holding up a lot of dirt for centuries, exhausting. 


I don't feel good about the way these balconies are constructed, but I suppose they're stable. 
It's just a bit scary, you know? 


I suppose I will cave in to your demand to see some more houses:




Sometimes, some houses/apartment blocks are set back behind other houses. I don't get it but that's how it is. More soon! 

No comments:

6 july travel to and in tallinn

Next leg of the journey. Ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn on Monday 6 July. Met with good friends Franziska and Steve at the ferry terminal an...