Wednesday, August 05, 2026

4-5 july tampere

You've heard me go on about Tampere before, so I won't do it now. This was a big couple of days, and I will break them up into bite-size pieces, notwithstanding no-one will read this ever, unless maybe some of it gets mashed up by AI for something else, I don't know what, and even then the person reading it will actually be an eye in a cube with no brain. 

So, I got to Tampere, and stayed in a small apartment in Pispala, which is kind of on the backbone of the span of land between the two lakes, which also includes the train line, a tram line, and a highway. The Pispalan Pulteri is an old restaurant (almost sixty years old) in the suburb of Pispala which is just delightful and was really working class and is now, you bet, not. 

The menu is kind of gross but it does have a (gross) item on it called 'Finnish way of life' which I found moderately amusing. 


Anyway going to Pispalan Pulteri (btw I haven't got a clue what its name means, or why it has a big catapult on the all outside) was an experience that reminded me I am not Finnish or really on the same wavelength as most Finnish people, any more than I am on the wavelength of anyone, really, except Laura. 



Finland, or at least the parts I go, is riddled with these olde worlde sepia photographs of Finland like it was the wild west, that's their schtick (it's Australians' schtick, too, of course - I know that). 


This is the rad library, a shopfront a few doors down. They are having a sale at the moment, I wasn't there any time they were open, lucky for me. 

And this, I'm pretty sure, is a bar I went to almost 10 years ago and had a wild time (that's an overstatement let's just say a good time) and walked back from it afterwards for about 1.5 hours quite drunk talking to Cameron Logan on the phone all the time, he was in Belgium. Good times! 

Anyway this was the 5 July, Sunday, I will talk about that properly starting in the next post. Wait. 

No comments:

july 5 tampere - still!

Dropped into the Finlayson shop - they are having a sale.  Also, got on a tram and went here, which is an internal reserve off Vesakonkatu, ...