Sunday, December 04, 2022

auckland a week ago - (east) auckland market(s)

It was a great experience to travel a longish way on foot at either end of a long (but fast) train journey, to go to what was probably the most pathetic outdoor market I’ve ever been to, with the admission that a lot of it hadn’t been set up yet by the time I got there for the 7am start. It was the Auckland Market also apparently known by some as the East Auckland Market. While I stand by the ‘pathetic’ tag though of course I have already tempered that by saying that it probably hadn’t really got its shit together at just after 7am when I was there, I will also add that it was clearly a very local operation, a lot of really nice looking fresh produce which was of no value to me (leaving Auckland in about 20 hours). One man was there in his gumboots (but it wasn’t Wal). A stallholder was explaining to him that ‘Roumanian women just never get drunk. They never do. They just don’t.’ 

 

So I knocked that whole experience on the head quickly and was lucky enough to get back to the station with minutes to spare (I mentioned that the trains were fast but of course on Sunday morning they are few and far between). 









No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...