Sunday, December 31, 2023

she said

Picture of Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan in She Said stolen from https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/she-said-carey-mulligan-review-b2232320.html where the film is described as a 'slow-paced slog' which I think is going far too far. 

While tidying up the sitting room I watched (I know this is not optimum conditions for watching serious or any tv, but doesn't everyone do this?) She Said, a dramatisation about the Weinstein harassment/rape/coverup case and the New York Times' role particularly in exposing it (as opposed to Ronan Farrow's/the New Yorker's). 

I'm always interested in movies like this because I want to see how journalism is portrayed, not because I think of myself as ever having been one, but I do have printer's ink in my veins (ouch) and still have some kind of, I guess, reverence for the process, and hatred for those who don't do it properly. Still, not really knowing what went on behind the scenes in exposing Weinstein I am a little perplexed by this movie, though it's gripping enough, and has some really good actors in it, doing really good acting. 

What I think the film doesn't do enough of is contextualising the time before the time that Weinstein was a synonym for vile, controlling, rapist. No-one in the movie is really saying the kinds of things that I bet people did say - Harvey's not such a bad guy, everyone has their off days etc. If you were in need of convincing that there was a time when people were uncertain about how they felt, this film wouldn't really do it. I mean yes there are people afraid to talk for fear of what Weinstein would do to them in court - that's really what the movie is all about - but for my money it doesn't paint a strong enough picture of the time before the public accusations. Maybe there's no real way to do that, or possibly also that's just not the point. I don't know. 

No comments:

'every day, every day'

These are today's pants. I photographed them as per usual and then went around the corner where a man with a headset on was smoking a ci...