Friday, December 29, 2023

smoking

This comic strip from the Melbourne Sun was published exactly a hundred years ago. Nothing too interesting about it, obviously, except I do like those very scrappy, to the extent that you might say they were poorly drawn, comic strips of the early C20 (I mean of course the artist is actually pretty skilled). But it did remind me of something I remarked on to Laura recently, that some fool lit up a cigarette in front of me while crossing Flemington Road a few days ago and it took me back to a time when I was very frequently exposed to cigarette smoke and I was simultaneously attracted and repelled to the experience - I completely hate cigarette smoking but I also completely understand why it's so impossible to quit it. I never did it, but it happened enough around me that it is in my brain somewhat. 

I have smoked a few cigars, more or less as a joke or to garner attention, 15-20  years ago. They can make you feel pretty sick. I don't know if I was ever moved to say 'save the women and children' but if not it was only because I didn't think of it. 

No comments:

'every day, every day'

These are today's pants. I photographed them as per usual and then went around the corner where a man with a headset on was smoking a ci...