Friday, August 05, 2022

lionel long in homicide, and phoenix

https://m.facebook.com/ThirroulHistoryInPhotos/ 

So I know you mainly tune into my show to hear about where I'm up to in Homicide and I apologise that other important work has got in the way. A few episodes ago (S5 E21) Les Dayman's character Bill Hudson suddenly got all sad and reflective (no mention of the fiancee Tink though, his back story i.e. she has completely disappeared) and when he had to shoot a madman out for revenge, he went on leave. In S5 E22 Lionel Long joins the cast as Bert Costello and in S5 E24 most recent episode seen, there is a very offhand discussion about Bill going back to forensic or something like that.

Lionel Long is not Italian or of Italian heritage, but he can do a decent couple of sentences in Italian, despite constantly insisting he was born in, I can't remember, Gundagai or somewhere. Anyway, I'll miss Bill but so far so great. New opening credits too which are very exciting. 

Long was a singer as well as an actor. Here he is post-Homicide using his Homicide fame to get a gig at the Ainslie Rex Hotel Cabaret. 

Canberra Times 2 May 1970 p. 16

Meanwhile, 


as per Richard's recommendation I'm watching Phoenix which is actually pretty freakin' amazing (there's Paul Sonkkila above, love to know his story). Obviously in one sense or another made in the light of Homicide and similar but 25 years later and by the ABC. A lot of very believable stuff here. Unlike Homicide a lot of glances and asides, no-one's out and out saying what they think for rapid exposition, but then, this is a long series story not 50 minute episodes. Well I don't like being distracted from Homicide which is a distraction in itself, but it's fascinating. 

...and like most of the best shows it has Peter Cummins in it. Can't wait till he shows up in Homicide (S7 E36 apparently). 

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...