Sunday, August 07, 2022

homicide - the golden thread

This episode of Homicide, 'The Golden Thread', (S5 E26) was first shown on 23 July 1968. 

I'm tired of Homicide stories about women/girls getting murdered. But this is a show from over fifty years ago so not much point in complaining I suppose. You have to look at it as something that happened in the distant past, and only get annoyed about the more recent stuff. A few interesting bits:

This is an artist called Sharp (played by Paul Karo, who got a lot of roles in Homicide over the years) reviewing a line-up. The police line-ups are held in the Homicide offices and the witnesses are face to face with the accused. It's all a bit primitive. 
This was an interesting scene in 'the rubbity' (as Sharp calls the pub) where he was getting friendly with  a 17-year old girl called Becky (Linda Burd) who's drinking in there alone. Bert bundles Becky off and Mack finds this drawing amongst Sharp's sketchbooks: 
Someone went to town on this picture and it's really awful, although I like the spiderweb detail on the bike wheels and the horrendous mad faces behind her. Anyway, I'm tired of Homicides about murdered children/women, although perhaps when someone says that they are tired of Homicide itself. Perhaps I should try doing something else for a while. 

(Of course I say that and instantly the next one comes on and it's got Ken Shorter in it - who did a lot of this kind of thing, I gather, before Stone, though he was only in two Homicides). 

Here's Linda Burd on p. 6 of the Australian Jewish News for 1 July 1960. 

She's in the AJN again on 12 December 1969 p. 12 where they say she left school at around 16 and was quickly asked to audition for Homicide and Division 4 (she did two episodes each) and then she played Concetta in Bellbird in late 1969 after which, nothing. She is listed in IMDB as being a wardrobe supervisor on a 2021 film called 616 Wilford Lane (after 52 years of no activity) but you know what? I doubt it's the same person. My guess is she either got married (so had a different name than 'Burd', which probably caused her a bit of grief in any case), quit acting, or both. If she's still with us she's 72 now. 


Update 24/8 Here she is again in S5E44, 'The Joy Ride'. Here she plays Ina Lehmann, the daughter of a service station owner. Her role is fairly passive but at least she doesn't get killed - her boyfriend (of sorts), seen here, does. The most interesting thing about this episode IMO is that everyone calls her Ina to rhyme with meaner, but the boyfriend - an upstanding, ordinary bloke - calls her Ina to rhyme with diner. 

It didn't even strike me until I saw this screenshot but I now appreciate that the Passiona (?) poster on the wall is arbitrarily cut at the sides, making it meaningless. 

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...