Saturday, August 06, 2022

it's still kind of night time, well, early morning really


Went to sleep so early last night it an early wake up was almost inevitable. It's just me and Nancy in the sitting room waiting for the day to begin. 

I actually like the night time, so I don't know why this stupid song by Russell Morris got in my head, called 'I Don't Like the Night'. When I was 15 I did my work experience at Richmond Recorders, which you'd think would somehow be formative but it didn't feel formative at all. It felt dull and annoying. There was nothing to do and Russell Morris and the Rubes were recording 'demos for Japan', like, really. One of the songs they were doing was called 'I Don't Like the Night'. This was ultimately released on an album they put out that year, but it wasn't the Richmond Recorders version. Intriguing. Anyway I don't even know why I'm telling you this.

Russell Morris and the Rubes only existed in I guess 1980-81 and I suppose they were an attempt to update Russell Morris from late 60s-early 70s balladeer (which as far as I'm concerned is what he was best at) to a hot act for the 80s. Morris was 32 and, so, not in the least bit old. It still seemed like a bit of a stretch. I recall the guys in the control room saying of Russell while he was laying down his vocal things like, 'geez mate fuckin' give up you has been'. About ten years later I saw him in the cast of Jesus Christ Superstar taking much less of a role than Farnesy, but you know, still battling away and then he went on to have some actual hit albums of new material in the last ten or so years. 

These are my early morning thoughts, I bet yours are more interesting. 

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...