Friday, January 29, 2021

the blue mask


Well I'm just going to say it, this was the first Lou Reed album I heard and it was the time that it occurred to me that, well, this Lou Reed is probably pretty terrible. The song 'Women', which let's be frank, is excruciatingly bad, and the song about JFK, which is also insanely poor, are the only two I actually remember, but do you know now I'm thinking of it I actually think that perhaps I heard the whole album played on the radio when it came out, in a kind of promotional shizzle. Maybe not, maybe I just heard big bits of it on RRR or something. Anyway, I actually don't give a loose root about The Blue Mask. This is what I think of these days when I think of blue masks (this is all today's crop - well technically yesterday's, a few hours ago though):




So I may not have mentioned that since the beginning of the year, since I have been walking a lot (not the 20 000 steps a day I was doing late last year, but 10 000 - actually an average of about 11 000 a day) I decided that it would be more interesting and also more productive if I did something about it so I pick up a lot of rubbish. I put it in bags and bin it. 

Now, there's a lot of gross stuff out there in the world but the three grossest IMO are masks (#1, because they've been over someone's mouth and they probably stink), fast food i.e. KFC and McDonalds packaging, and Coke cans/cups/bottles because, I guess, well, I just hate Coke and I always have. It's all foul but the masks freak me out the most. I just can't imagine people just pulling their masks off in the street and throwing them to the ground, I haven't seen it happen, but it apparently does happen, at least, these things are everywhere. 

Once again I find myself feeling I must be the naivest of the naive because I don't understand a society where people recognise the value, apparently, of wearing a mask but not the value of throwing a disposable mask in the bin - !!! I actually have found a few non-disposable masks, too, so I guess some of them just get dropped by accident, which I kind of understand. But still. What the hell people. 

I don't have anything more to say than this. Except that Lou Reed song about women is execrable. If I was a woman I would sue him. Unless it's a joke? I wonder if Laurie Anderson ever heard it. Maybe she figured she could love him better if she didn't listen to his back catalogue.

1 comment:

John Weeks said...

Congrats on joining the 10K a day club. I've been doing it for over a year, get a lot of value out of it.

flook may 1954

  24 May is missing Brooklyn! I mean... what is going on