Friday, January 29, 2021

someone left a case out in the rain




I know it was silly but when I saw this case in the park, shut and laid down carefully, I thought well look there's no way the person who put it there didn't know that it was in some way an invitation to look inside it. And I thought that is kind of suspicious. I almost looked inside it, actually, but instead I called the police, in the spirit of, I wonder what they will say/do.

The guy I spoke to at the North Melbourne police station had never heard of Ievers Reserve (two minutes from the PS), of Gatehouse Street (ditto), or seemingly even of suitcases. Maybe he was very, very tired. He asked 'do you think it's suspicious?' and I sort of hedged around that, because the obvious response is a sarcastic 'no, this was just an opening gambit in a casual chat', but then it occurred to me that perhaps 'suspicious' was a trigger word. So I said yes it was. Anyway I told him where it was and went on to the public records office, where I spent the morning looking at court documents for Raymond Borg and meeting minutes for the decentralisation of government departments in Victoria 1972-3. Passing by again four hours later, it was in the same place I had last seen it, seemingly untouched. [Shrugs]

Update next day: I won't bore you with a picture, just these words: I walked past it again this morning and it had been opened. It was/is a camera case I think, whether it had anything in it yesterday is unclear but it would have been hard to stuff it full of money or corpse parts with all that moulded foam rubber. I could have saved the police a lot of trouble (of talking to me on the phone) by looking inside but of course I was troubled by the possibility of it being $100 000 of drug cash, and what I would then do with said drug cash, clearly I'd have to take it somewhere and bury it for a decade, and that would just be a major fucking hassle wouldn't it. 

1 comment:

Person I want to be said...

maybe someone was resting in a tree after a hard work week?

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...