Monday, January 11, 2021

box of crap - treasure # 14, a copy of mx

mx was a shit piece of garbage 'newspaper' that used to be made available to commuters, until 2015 when I guess it was clear everyone was just going to stare at their phones for the conceivable future and someone at newscorp who teleconferenced with Murdoch once a year - yes, that close to god - said 'let's shut this down and see if anyone notices'. Once again, I am only left wondering why, when filling a box full of crap apparently 12 or so years ago, I opted to throw this issue of mx from 20 May 2008, into the crap. It is possible that I had already kept it a while and figured I must have done so for some reason other than no reason. Maybe I thought 'I'll enjoy this in the future' (I was wrong). Maybe there was actually something in here that made me think 'this is important to archive' (in which case, I should have somehow made this clear to my future self). 

I would like to tell you some of the things that happened then, from its actual pages, but unfortunately Helmi has decided to sit partially on it so I can't get access to it at the moment. 
Bummer but I know you'll understand. Oh, there is this one thing I photographed previously, which might give you some insight into why mx was a shit paper that should not have existed:
Laziest of the lazy. I can't really imagine how this could have been more lazy than it is. Obviously whoever did this voxpop for this day used the first three people they came across, and the only arguably non-lazy bit of the whole is the designer's (?) decision to separate the two blow-in boys from each other, which probably came from a policy of boy-girl-boy or girl-boy-girl, rather than anything to do with the text. This is so lazy, I've already thought about it more than any of the at least five people (participants+interviewer+photographer) involved, and of course nobody but nobody has thought about the 'My platform' column for 20 May 2008 since 20 May 2008, when the editor surely said 'spend more than two minutes on this next time mate'. 

2 comments:

Wayne Davidson said...

And two of the vox pop-ees are 18 year olds from Rushworth, j'accuse the MX of not casting the interviewee net very wide.

David said...

Totally. Obviously the voxpopper got them both together. Not only were they from the same place but they basically said the same thing! And also, they both nominated the CBD - not a suburb - as their favourite suburb. Who do I complain to?! Oh, I already did.

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...