Monday, July 22, 2024

things i like right now


I have been hoeing a few disparate rows at the moment, in-between doing my tax and occasionally playing the Our Daughter's Wedding album and walking Perry. I finally got into the show known everywhere but Indonesia and Australia as The Morning Show but here in Australia as Morning Wars, I assume because there's already a show called The Morning Show in Australia but I don't know, I should check. I have to say that the first season is really well done, and the acting is rad. The second season is a bit 'difficult second album' but still has its high points. Good intelligent use of music. Billy Crudup operates an incredible character who quite often doesn't talk but the camera lingers on his face and he communicates anyway. Right now I'm watching episodes with Valeria Golino who I think is also really tremendous. 

I think I have mentioned in the past that I enjoy Giles Brandreth's podcast Rosebud and just this morning I was listening to the Bjorn (a man so famous you just know who I'm talking about) episode. Bjorn is a little understated but it's still a really good interview (probably a bad idea to do it in front of an audience, but sure). (Possibly Bjorn insisted on that on the basis that it underlined the charity aspect of the program). 

My current podcasts are: Handsome, Slate Culture Gabfest, Slate Political Gabfest, usually WTF but not always, Blank Check except when I couldn't give a loose root about the director/films, Dave O'Neil's The Debrief, If Books Could Kill, Sizzletown, You're Wrong About... that's about it atm. Well it's not but no doubt when I remember the others I can add them in and remove this sentence. When possible, I subscribe to the podcasts in question (btw aside from apple tv, most of the streaming services I have typically had at my fingertips are unavailable to me all as a result of some cunt hacking my credit card and diverting funds to Barcelona and I cbf putting in the new details). 

The Debrief is really a case of a great show made from the rump of someone's day - Dave O'Neil drives to and from the absurdly diverse shows he plays in different parts of the country with the other comedians he's on the bill with and he kind of workshops the process before and after. So simple, so straightforward. A lot of fun. 

I have about ten novels on the go and I really should call a moratorium and finish them off. I know - I'll put them all in a list and then do it. 

3 comments:

Wayne Davidson said...

If you enjoy a list, I've been doing this one - https://theverynow.wordpress.com/

David Nichols said...

You lost me at Telekon, I have such a grudge against Gary Numan.
BUT - a version of A Distant Shore with FIVE EXTRA TRACKS! That's almost a whole new album. I mean if any of those are as good as what actually made it on to the album... it is one of my all-time favourite records, I have to say. I know I'm boring Wayne but... you know that too.

Wayne Davidson said...

I remember your Numan disdain. That TT reissue is bound to be excellent.

to pyhäjärvi (two weeks ago)

Bit of a fragmented post this one. This afternoon (Saturday 24/8) was my big chance to walk around Pyhäjärvi, a trip I'd done almost exa...