Friday, July 05, 2024

nancy again not the cat nancy but the comic strip girl

I have continued to enjoy Olivia Jaimes' Nancy strip which I have probably mentioned before. In the last few weeks Jaimes has gone on holiday and instead the strip is being drawn by Leigh Luna. It's very different but still very good. Whereas Jaimes' Nancy is the kind of jerk only an 8-year-old can legitimately be, Luna's Nancy is in a way a little older than her years, but it's a nice exploration, Peanuts-style I guess, of kids trying out adult personas. Luna's Nancy retaliates when Sluggo fixates on another girl by befriending and in a way romancing the girl. It is kind of gay, which is not something I have a problem with, but I can imagine that other longterm readers might. However, within a few strips Nancy has forgotten the girl and it's all about making Sluggo apologise for his inattentiveness. Fucked up, in a way, but then again, these are children. Anyway, I completely approve of the new Nancy directions. 

That's what I said

No comments:

to pyhäjärvi (two weeks ago)

Bit of a fragmented post this one. This afternoon (Saturday 24/8) was my big chance to walk around Pyhäjärvi, a trip I'd done almost exa...