Friday, July 28, 2023

special squad gone for the doctor

This episode of Special Squad, called 'Gone for the Doctor', is I think the actual very last one, and it's a really shameful place to end a series. I think my theory about grabbing the crappy scripts out of the bottom drawer and retooling them to fit the current characters was correct. 

In this episode the team somehow end up camping (I shit you not) and on a whim decide to go for a drive in their jeep, with Smith driving and Anderson in the passenger seat and...

Davis on the bonnet of the vehicle. I'm serious. He's just travelling on the front of the van like that's a normal thing to do. 
Anyway for some reason not necessarily related to that activity, they crash into a tree and Smith is gravely injured. 
To be honest even at this early point you're thinking, why did we bother? Please just all die in the accident. But instead the other two are fine and simply need to get to a town, and they find a weird dystopian family in the bush with what is I guess a father, two more-or-less-adult children (Tina played by Julie Nihill and Yabbie played by David Slingsby) and another person with an eyepatch whose name I am sorry to say I've forgotten, or didn't catch in the first place, either that or it's Errol played by Richard Moir. I am not entirely sure where Errol fits into the story as apparently the father believed that Errol was having an affair with his wife so he killed her and poked Errol's eye out, this is all long ago by the way, but apparently Errol still hangs around talking in a raspy voice.  

I can't be bothered going on. Kudos to all involved that they took this idiotic script and made it into a whole program. I say 'kudos' but I wish they hadn't. But they knew by this stage that no-one would be watching. 

It was mostly nice knowing you Special Squad. 

No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...