Sunday, July 02, 2023

no-cowboys

 

I don't have much to tell you but I am presently listening to this album which is basically the only album by the London group PragVEC but for reasons unexplained they pretended it was a compilation record featuring PragVEC, Major Eddie, Couch Potatoes, Vince Quince and his Rialto Ballroom Detectives and 'Spec Records' (which is the name of their record label). It's the kind of record that makes me appreciate that, yes, 1980 really was a long time ago. And/or that while some records were being made that still sound contemporary-ish, like say the Human League's records (jesus, I heard Gary Numan's 'Cars' in a shop today, it's still revolting) there are records like this that took the road less travelled and sound, well obviously this is where I'm heading, really dated. I'm not against 'dated' (and I like PragVEC a lot - a lot more than most people on earth) but I feel the need to mention it. I don't know why. 

This afternoon I played in an ad hoc band called Loaded and True with Alec, Jack, Dusty and Snowy. Alec contacted me a few days ago and asked if I wanted to play in this band with him and Jack that had two shows booked in Melbourne. I don't know if someone dropped out or what but I said yes, which I probably shouldn't have (too many other things on) but on the other hand, who does it hurt. So we did five or six songs which had been partly worked out last night and it went really really well. I mean really well. People were being very complementary and these were people who I am pretty sure if they couldn't say anything nice, they wouldn't have said anything. So, that was good.

No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...