Sunday, June 16, 2024

kensington street library this morning

Perry and I frequently visit the Kensington Street Library but we don't often tell you when we do. This morning I took about six books there - mainly things I had doubles of, from my office - and unfortunately took about three things away, on various pretexts.  

(Not sure what the 'we can hear you' on the right side means). Anyway, on the way back from there I was provoked to wonder about the extreme heightening at the railway line in these parts. The line is low, the suburban streets of Kensington in the west are much, much higher. 
This was obviously done a long time ago and very purposefully because the street behind this wall (its ground level somewhere midway to the trees) is all late 19th century. 
At some point in the last 12 months Laura and I had a benign argument (maybe that's just a conversation) about whether it would be good to live on the top of this building. I think it would. But I am also prepared to entertain the possibility that this is not, as I had long assumed, a house on top of an office building, but maybe just an open area. Anyway either way, I realised this morning that while on one side you could probably see as far as the sea, on the other, all you'd see is this: 

No comments:

flook in the second half of september 1954