Saturday, June 08, 2024

in the pines

Today Perry and I went to the place presently known as The Pines, in Frankston North. I became interested in it because I saw reference to it in Housing Commission files, then I pursued the files on 'Frankston Forest' as it was initially known. The area was developed by the HCV in the late 1950s/early 1960s but not to the extent originally intended, in fact, I think only 1/3-1/4 of the area initially slated. We parked in Karri Ct and walked to the shops from there.  

The housing is all HCV but a range of different styles and materials. There are a few of these...
then there are these brick homes which I've always thought of as a bit earlier - 1940s. Maybe early 1950s. 


This is next to...

the Salvos building, for which, as you can see, the door is never open. Well this door isn't. There's another one round the side, it's OK. 



This is the laneway behind the shops. We walked around the shops. 

There's a lot of stuff in the files about a mural intended for the side of the building (I'm assuming this side). Obviously this is more recent than that. I don't know if a mural was created for the building and if so, whether the old one is underneath this one (unlikely).  



The building(s) are actually quite original, at least at the front, I'm pretty sure. 






This was in the file, what a horrible story!!! Made me feel terrible for the person who made this error. 
(As it transpired, the HCV agreed to pay half the cost of the bricks, which is probably better than nothing from the Kibbles' pov). This (below) I really liked - it's the backyard of one of the shops, looks like it hasn't been used for anything at all for 65 years. 
Check out this barbed wire. I don't know which one of these shops has laid on all this bw but woof. 
How cool as shit is this? 
A-a-a-nd more houses, since I know you like them so much. 




More Frankston soon... but this was wild and we had a really good time. 




No comments:

flook in the second half of september 1954