Sunday, November 20, 2022

deadwind/ karppi season 3


I consumed season 3 of Deadwind (known in its original incarnation as Karppi) barely without noticing it over a few days, while absentmindedly avoiding watching The Sullivans (I don't suppose I've discussed this with most of you, but I have been watching The Sullivans' end-of/post- war exploits for a possible journal article) because I was uncomfortable with an adoption story arc and Homicide (you're going to think I'm a fucking idiot* but there were just too many homicides in Homicide in the late 1960s for me to handle, and I was kind of finding it hard to wade through all these child killings and young women strangleds - at least, I needed a break from them). 

Ironic that I would choose as a refresher Deadwind which has more than its fair share of insane gothic fuckedupness with people getting rubbed out left right and centre in obscenely ritualistic manner and always Pihla Viitala as Sofia Karppi with her extremely impractical lion's mane of hair and her ridiculous attitude of 'I will do anything to protect my children, except behave in a rational way at any given moment i.e. they are always exposed to my own possible demise'. 

If it's at all possible her partner in crimesolving Sakari Nurmi (Lauri Tilkanen) is even more of a mess. I don't think it's a spoiler to reveal that he indicates by weird facial reactions to Karppi that his mother shot her father then herself when Nurmi was a child. I mean, crikey. These people, incidentally, have known each other for at least three years by this time and are always constantly just about to kiss and this just comes up?! But more ridiculous is the whole insane (yes, literally insane) serial killer storyline which... well... the show is clearly not meant to be realistic, is it. I did enjoy it, let's be fair. But can I just advise any insane serial killers that leaving a trail of clues whereby links can be ascertained through various symbols splashed around in the victims' blood at murder scenes etc, probably leads to you not being able to complete your vengeful mayhem in the way you wanted, when it comes down to it. I mean when you put so much into something like that, why jeopardise it with flourishes? 

I'm hoping for a spin-off with Mimosa Willamo reprising her role as Henna, Karppi's stepdaughter who is easily as crazy brave but also more au fait with the crime world as, basically, a criminal and who has to be under the radar too after the events in this series where she essentially shops her adoptive crime family (not without reason - they had decided to execute her). 

Talking with my mother yesterday we agreed between us that a lot of the noiry shows we enjoy we'd really be just as happy with the scenery (see below) and that's it. I am not sure if that's genuinely true because I've never watched a show that was just scenery, I gather there's one on Disney + but it's just shitty Star Wars shit. Disney + has gone up in price it would seem and since I haven't watched anything on it since I got it it's probably time to throw that one away, it's garbage isn't it? Prove me wrong. 

* Don't read this then, jerk, if that's your attitude. 

1 comment:

Wayne Davidson said...

My favourite unrealistic (melo)drama is Departure on SBS. Archie Panjabi plays an investigator of missing planes (in series 2 high speed train crash and in 3 a ferry, presumably the No. 86 tram is slated for series 4). Deviousness abounds, everyone has great lighting and expensive clothes, they work in neon lit designer office and speak in hushed tones. It's so weird.

The best thing to watch on Disney+ is Only Murders In The Building.

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...