Wednesday, November 16, 2022

asiatonta oleskelua




Asiatonta oleskelua
is the new Litku Klemetti album (the title means 'Unauthorised stay') and I find it intriguing, though I have to say, nowhere near as immediately appealing as the others I've heard. 

Once again, the biggest problem is of course I don't understand Finnish. I can see from the translate camera function that the lyrics are reflective/mournful/possibly even obtuse but that might be how automatic translation always affects things like song lyrics. 


Not having to worry too much about the words means I concentrate more on the music. Somewhat regretfully I note that there are a lot of flourishes herein that seem gimmicky - like someone had a shopping list of what belongs in a 70s power ballad - and quite a few of these songs fit that bill, notably the first track 'En Elä', (which by the way google translate says means 'I don't live') which even ends somewhat inexplicably with some sergeant pepperish horns at the end - go figure. 

But having said the above I have had this thing in my head a lot since I last listened to it on the weekend, and bits keep popping up. You will note from my supermodel Perry above I actually bought the CD, that was entirely on accident, I didn't know what I was doing. I have a CD player upstairs but not downstairs at the moment (tbh it would be super easy to patch it in to my 'system' but I'm going to be pulling all that apart and putting it back together in a few weeks when I get my shelves put in, so, blah blah wgaf) so I haven't listened to it since I played it in my mother's car which I borrowed because mine's being repaired because it has a problem with its clutch and wah wah wah. 

So point is I think I will come around, I was just a bit challenged by the conventional sound and style of this album, but the tunes are really good and it is just paradoxically harder to get into because, you know, I don't understand Finnish. I mean I understand around three words per song.  

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...