Wednesday, May 04, 2022

it's just weird though

For the last few weeks that song 'Constant Craving' has been in my head at very odd times. No, I don't have a constant craving for anything, so that's not the reason. It's one of the songs that I guess come under the category of earworm for me but it's so everyday and shrug-offable that I am used to it. In truth there are umpteen such songs attending me every day, just hummable pop, which I ignore or confront. It's really strange to be honest but I deal with it. 

But actually at the moment I have a complete 100% obsession with this album:

This band has all the core elements that I have always wanted from music - very catchy songs, variety, and oodles of humour. I'll get this out of the way right now too - they have great taste themselves, as evidenced by throwing a Magazine album (and the first and also best Madonna album - maybe someone's an alphabetiser like me?) into their Sgt-Pepper-lite album cover. 

Right now my favourite song on Seventh Baby is the second song on side 1, it's improbably catchy (improbable because the music is pretty pedestrian in the verse but the chorus has this crazy one-note bass and a particularly exceptional guitar solo towards the end) and it's called 'Annabella'. Musically the ultimate effect is tremendous and quite dynamic but the best thing is that lyrically it's ludicrously meta - so it's not about anyone called Annabella, it's one of the band members (they all write songs and they all sing I think, but they credit all songs to the group, so there's no clue whether it's Crazy Pint, Cute Pint, Dumb Pint or Tough Pint who's singing/narrating*) telling the other three about a dream she had: 'I saw a silly dream / about us in the middle of a gig/ we were playing/ a song I didn't know/and you guys rolled around/on the stage and I tried/ to do the same/ and you yelled: "Play Annabella!"'

Anyway since my new music portal closed in about 1985 (later in my life than most people's) I have only rarely latched onto new groups (this group has been going for 16 years but only became known to me by complete accident a couple of months ago) with a proselytising vigour - it happens about once a decade so We Ragazzi at the turn of the century, then the Go! Team I can't quite remember when but that's been ongoing for a long time - they put out their first album in 2004 and that's when I probably saw a few of their videos on Rage and couldn't get them out of my head - now this. Obviously this could be a flash in the pan and in a few months I might be Pintandwewho? particularly when it comes out that they are all fascists or something. But at the moment I am absolutely delighted to still be getting great pleasure out of a new record/band. I have the album before this coming to me in the mail and I'm trying not to listen to it too much on spotifuck beforehand. 

*Actually there is a clue. The lyrics on the sleeve are written in four different hands, so 'Annabella' for instance is written by the same person who wrote 'Hard Work' and I think also, relevantly, 'Clues'. 

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...