Tuesday, March 07, 2023

trip to europe: tampere 2023 (a month ago)





So our Monday 6/2 was a complete write-off (we knew that would be the case) just travel between Hamburg and Tampere, extended ridiculously for reasons that can only be described as stupid. Not our fault (some my fault). However we made up for it in spades in Tampere on the 7th.

Tampere is just like the greatest place on earth, so, hard not to have a good time there. Just check out the library (above). We also went to the Lenin-Museo, which is located in the actual exact place where Stalin and Lenin met for the first time. I really don't want this account of the trip to be all pictures (particularly as the pictures are always going to be of things or at a pinch animals not people, as is my wont) but of course the other problem is when you leave it a few days to write your impressions, you rely on the pictures to jog your memory of the moment and you're just captioning. 

But on the other hand you don't want to be like the archetypal/stereotypical dad on vacation, unable to enjoy your holiday unless you're recording every moment of it, so I dunno... 

After all that, the fact is I didn't photograph much in the Lenin-Museo. I did love every minute of it though. Considering how little space they have to work with, they achieve an excellent synthesis of the Tampere context for the beginning of a revolution and its impacts in what became the USSR and how they then reflected back on Finland. Overall, very impressive and a great range of objects. 


Sugar bag. Also let it be recorded that this was the day I purchased three great jumpers at the vintage UFF. I wish Laura would blog about her UFF experience. 

I am writing this at 7am on 9/2 in the breakfast room of our hotel in Jyväskylä and I am having the amazing experience of hearing old man's classic pop in one ear (Frank Sinatra, 'Here Comes the Sun', though not Frank Sinatra singing 'Here Comes the Sun', btw - I am not sure if he did) and some really beat-heavy track in the other, which is playing in the kitchen and which, all due respect, sounds like a popcorn machine. Loving it. Today is going to be great I bet. 

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...