Friday, April 08, 2022

shanks


I had a mess up with my owners corporation fees (or they messed up by sending two invoices a month apart - whatever) so I am running on empty a bit $$ wise this fortnight but I will of course survive, but some records I bought in probably February showed up today, which was nice, from Germany. Fairly cheap and a few interestings and a couple of how could it go wrongs and then an old favourite, repurchased. 

I bought Shanks' 1989 album Masterbait because it was a Mayo Thompson production - quite possibly the last record he produced (to date) aside from his own records. OK so I know you want to know what I think of it, since you have certainly not been able to find out what anyone else thinks of it in English anywhere on the www. Well, first of all, I am not sure that I would really be of the opinion that MT had a distinctive production style anyway, though (contrary to what was sometimes said about that Chills album which is a fine piece of work all round) he is a good, clear, straight down the line record producer, IMO. Shanks appear to be in some way in the world of Furtips, another Dutch band of the 80s+ who I enjoy very much. I have a feeling that the Shanks album and its very wearying title (hey, Dutch people, I don't come to your language and make puns about it) is probably for another day, when I am not quite so harrowed by the week, which has been tougher than most. 

I'll tell you about the other records in due season. I'm listening to this one now.



No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...