Saturday, April 23, 2022

covid brain

So I think I was ok for a couple of weeks but now I am pretty sure my covid brain has come back, I have no idea what causes it but something is causing it. It made for a pretty weird day today because I went to have lunch with Alanna (that was an hour or so) then I wanted to go to the State Library and look at some things I had ordered a few days before relating to French Island and most particularly its nuclear power plant proposal from the 70s, which went nowhere, and so after leaving Gertrude St Fitzroy, I got on a tram to the city, having just missed an 86 I got a tram down Brunswick Road and for some reason missed the right tram stop and I was at Parliament station so I thought - well it's a bit of a waste of time but I'll get the train to Melbourne Central and then I'll be at the SLV, piss easy. Well. No trains from Parliament actually went to Melbourne Central this afternoon it would seem and instead I got on the wrong train, to Richmond (I ran for it, I didn't know where it was going but I hoped that since the train on platform 3 was going to Flinders st, the train on platform 4 would go the other direction. Not at all. It went to Richmond.) So then I had to get a train to Flinders Street, and then thought I would get a tram up Flinders Street, but there were no trams in Flinders Street, for no reason I could see. So I walked it. Finally I was there (if you think this is boring to read, imagine living it). Whatever I'd ordered at the SLV (I tried to access my SLV account on my computer but it wouldn't open) only three things were there. One of them was this:

...which looks great but was actually not a bit great (for my purposes). Whatever the story was of nuclear power on French Island, no-one seems to have done much of an investigation/narrative although really I have only looked in contemporary books/publications, other stuff not apparent. 

Then I decided to go home but that's when things got really like a bad dream, because I was sucked into Melbourne Central itself because I thought I'd just look at the free library but it was very light on and I got into an argument with two men there over this book: 


...and whether it was about Lacan or Hitchcock, and I said it was about Lacan, although what the fuck would I know, I just didn't think it was likely to be 'about' Hitchcock but either way I didn't want to talk about it. Then I was trying to get out but I ended up going into a pen store, and buying some stuff, that was silly and then I was just feeling super disoriented, and I finally managed to focus adequately to get the fuck out of there. I wonder if shopping mall sales are up due to covid. 

Here's Nancy having just had her dinner and contemplating the world outside. 



No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...