Friday, April 08, 2022

end of an ear

 

...and you know, just when you think your covid has basically left you, then you start to feel its influence on you again, so I shouldn't be exposing myself to frankly brutal things like this record, which is not a sweet record but a bit of a bludgeoning one. Robert Wyatt was sacked from Soft Machine I think because they didn't like his lyrics/vocals, which were of course almost always the best thing, and because they wanted to turn shit and he was getting in the way. But it seems he took it fairly hard and decided to make a record without lyrics, and a minimum of vocals. I don't get it. What I also don't get is I had very fond memories of this record but listening to it now it doesn't sound the way I remember it at all. 

The Pintandwefall album however is a different kettle of fish, a bit like the Monks and Heart and gosh, I don't know who else, I need to think about it. 

In between I listened to another record that came today, Manfred Krug's Greens which is a bit of a disappointment because so much of it is in English, but also has a lot to recommend it in terms of being funny and upbeat. He does covers of great songs like Gilbert O'Sullivan's 'Alone Again Naturally'. But I will stop writing these bland non-reviews of records now, I think Nancy's attitude to records is the healthiest.

I was thinking today how annoying it was that there aren't fanzines anymore. If I had an extra day in the week I'd make a little fanzine on a regular basis. But I don't. 

2 comments:

Wayne Davidson said...

Maybe together we can find half a day each and make a fanzine. I'm keen.

David Nichols said...

you're on

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...