Tuesday, March 22, 2022

fcuwm5

I'm about half way through watching this Finnish thriller on SBS - for English-speaking markets it's called East of Sweden which is a pretty ridiculous title (admittedly I'm only half way through but it has no connection to East of Eden though I suppose yeah you have to admit that Finland is east of Sweden and it's true one of the characters does apparently at one point aspire to go to Sweden but still...). The original title is Kääntöpiste which means 'turning point' which I guess is about as non-specific as you need it to be. 

So far it's quite well-constructed (bizarrely like about half of the Finnish films I've seen in the last year it also features Laura Birn!). But what's really strange is the amount of shots where the boom is visible. I guess if this happened once you'd go, well, once is ok. But this is so frequent I'm almost wondering if it's deliberate! 

It's not always as obvious as above but it can still be pretty flipping obvious, particularly once you start noticing. Weird!!!

Anyway, not a terrible film and it does feature some things I love like Finland, trains and... that's about it. Actually it just occurred to me that most of the action is taking place in Oulu, which is a city I love, though we haven't seen any notable streetscapes yet, I hope we do. 

A lot of it is in English I'm not sure why. 


No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...