Thursday, December 30, 2021

throw some records away


I feel a culling might be coming. I am presently going through records (mainly 12" singles) to find things to play on RRR on New Year's Eve/New Year's Day, as Carmel Zappia and I have been entrusted with two hours either side of midnight then to entertain the masses. As usual I have no real idea what would entertain the masses but I am quite amused by extended versions of obscure releases by famous artists (so right now I am listening to 'God Tonight' by Real Life, which is their umpteenth single and was from their fourth album, way beyond their initial huge success with frankly their best records 'Catch Me I'm Falling' (and yes, yes 'Send Me an Angel' but I don't want to think about that). 'God Tonight' is a very New Order-y song and while I suppose you don't want to say things like 'anyone could do this', at least you know New Order could do this (it wouldn't be out of place in their canon) and you sort of feel, well I do, that David Sterry is actually dialling it back a bit to not-sing like whatsisname from New Order does not-sing. New Order's 'Confusion' came out in 1983, and seven years later, Real Life rolled out a sort of cod-'Confusion' to widespread yawns (OK I say that but in fact Wikipedia tells me that this record hit the 'US Dance' Top 10, which is unexpected). At least it doesn't sit on the fence like me (I don't know if I like it or not). Maybe I should just not worry. 

I am going to throw away a Barry Gibb 12" ('Shine, Shine') which I was astonished to read on Wikipedia was a top 40 hit in the US in 1984 (what were people thinking, doing, feeling then??!!) and a Blow Monkeys 12", though that's not because of its quality but because it is unplayable, a ridiculous amount of surface noise, would purchase a playable copy. Anyway I might find myself chucking out a few more things, don't worry I'll be sure to let you know.  

* 1/1/22 update - I just realised there is a very close similarity in smug expression between Barry above and my donkey rider in the picture from the last post. Btw this is not what my copy of 'Shine Shine' looks like, mine is a really dog's breakfast of a design. 

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...