Sunday, October 06, 2024

fishermans bend

The weather on my phone said it was not going to rain this morning (also the Bureau of Meteorology's website showed precisely not any rainclouds at all) so Perry and I went to Fishermans Bend mainly with the intention of visiting Westgate Park but it rained heavily on the way there and when it stopped we were just passing Salmon St so I thought whatever let's have a little moment here and we walked around not just Salmon St but by accident we found ourselves in a massive open space.






It's funny to think all this is just existing there, isn't it. When I was born this terrain was easternmost point of the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation runways - the western half of which is now Westgate Park. But between when I was born and now it has also been the site of a cluster of large buildings, I am not sure what they were. 

Anyway so, Perry and I were heading back to the car (along the way I insisted he have his photo taken) when it started raining heavily again, and I just thought, fuck it, we'll cut our losses so we came back. That's my/our story. 


In the car I was listening to a podcast in the Discord and Rhyme series, about the Wire album Pink Flag. As you know, podcasts are just distractions for me and I tend not to want to learn anything from them though in this case I sort of did. Nothing I needed much less wanted to know - mainly the ways in which Pink Flag tracks sound a bit like REM (who of course completely postdate it) or the Minutemen (ditto). Anyway, I was fine with it.  

No comments:

flook 16 october 1954

  ...and, rather bizarrely, this is the point at which Flook stopped running in US / Canadian newspapers. I wonder if there's any way to...