Friday, January 19, 2024

pete davidson turbo fonzarelli

Whatever they're doing at Netflix when it comes to releasing these standup specials, they're doing it with intent. This is not the worst of the three I've looked at recently (the other two being Chappelle and Gervais) and I'm surprised that I keep thinking 'it's not even funny' because, like, neither are the other two. 

Davidson mentions he thinks Chappelle is the best but he doesn't go into any of the easy 'controversial' stuff Chappelle does, for which I suppose we should be grateful, though he does go into some 'weird places' - generically weird as per the above. This is pushing boundaries which were established long ago as boundaries-it's-possible-to-push. The above is a story about a child with cancer who Davidson told some secrets to then was anxious because the child didn't die.* The child dies, so I've got to say, it's obviously an untrue story; if he was really celebrating the death of someone's child he'd be open to all kinds of lawsuits. By the way, I don't want the story to be true, I just didn't want the whole scenario dreamed up in the first place.

Davidson is one of the 2020s' most successful comedians worldwide; I've seen him do good things; I'm impressed that, as someone who claims (for the purposes of this show, anyway) to do drugs every day that he can remember almost an hour of a monologue without ums or ahs. But this is really a poor piece of work. I haven't even got onto the extensive tale of the stalker (long story short: a woman who's ugly and mentally disturbed stalks him but - what if he's into it?).**  

I was going to say more but as I so often say in these situations, I'm probably not the demographic, and like any cranky old man, I'd have to say, in this instance I'm glad not to be.*** 

What I really need is a new Sarah Silverman special. That last one was amazing. 

* Apparently the notion that the child might somehow pass Davidson's 'secrets' on to someone else before s/he died is not entertainable - because obviously it's spoil the 'bit'. 

** This bullshit ends with three things PD flags as 'legal disclaimers', one of which is obviously a stupid joke, the other two of which I don't get, and in fact, I don't get any of it but I don't think those legal disclaimers were really necessary because the story is so inconsistent. 

*** Although the 'demographic' is probably not the point. I'm just not such a simpleton I'd be into this kind of thing. 


No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...