Wednesday, January 24, 2024

evan price house, essendon

Check this out:  

You're going to hate me but I don't actually remember/ didn't actually write down where this image was from specifically, but it is the Journal of the Royal Victorian Institute of Architecture and I am pretty sure it's September 1937. Here the house is again in the Melbourne Herald 3 July 1935 p. 20: 

Hilarious that it's called a 'simple design' but I guess they mean, it's streamlined, not messy. So, Perry and I went to have a look at it, once we found out it was in Riverview Rd, Essendon (that information wasn't easy to come by - well - it's in this article but until we found this article, wasn't easy). 

It's number 2, Riverview Road. There is no view of any river, incidentally, from this road, at least as far as I could see. Maybe if you were upstairs and had the right window...
I think this is a view of a weird later addition. 
I was aiming for a comparable view to the original JRVIA photo but it wasn't really possible.
So, elsewhere in Essendon... this classy item is in Daisy St. 
These flats are in Leslie Road, just near 2 Riverview. 

These flats are near there too
And this is next door to them. 
So in sum yes Essendon is an interesting place to walk around and it has a lot of very fine early C20 homes. I barely photographed anything really. I thought maybe Nosilla Court might have had an interesting story behind it but this is about as interesting as it gets:

Sunshine Advocate 8 January 1943 p. 4

I will say this - the Cranwells of Braybrook presumably somehow named Cranwell St, which is where we went last week on our Maribyrnong River day. But so what, right? Even they'd probably say 'so what'. 

No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...