Saturday, October 21, 2023

tiellä ei minnekään


I have previously kvetched about duolingo and particularly its competitive ('gamified') aspect but right now as the one who is riding high in I think Pearl League or whatever they call it, I can see the plus. What bothers me more is the repetition in duolingo, and I don't know if it's the same with other languages or just the very niche ones like Finnish. If I ever needed to say oh no the koalas are in trouble, well, I have it down. Similarly if I wanted to ask 'Mr Blue Sky? Why are those trees singing?' which I kid you not is a phrase that crops up very often, ditto 'the camel is trying to bite the tourist' and other preposterosities, well, I'm covered but the repetitiveness (and the fact that these phrases are in there at all) is really getting me down. I am sure the psychology is, in part, that you get something you're very familiar with so you can advance, practice and be reminded that you do know some things. Also, I can complain about the repetition and the lack of variety but it's not like I get it all right all the time. But still. Some new material would be pretty nice to see. 




No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...