Sunday, June 12, 2022

coburg trash and treasure



Wow, ct&t was at its lowest ever this morning. What happened to all the stuff that people were supposedly rinsing out of their lives during the pandemic? Has it all resettled in other crevices? There were about half as many stalls as usual when I was there this morning and what was on display was pretty uniformly horrible. The only thing that I found mildly interesting was this artefact, which was more strange than anything:

I'd just never seen it before. But as I stood around with it in my hand briefly thinking maybe this is an item of interest, looking at the vendor retrieve a Val Doonican album that a potential customer's trolley wheel had dragged away from its propping place to be under another potential customer's shoe, I thought, fuck this... even if it is rare or unusual I don't want it in my house. So I put it back. I looked it up on discogs and no, it's not even slightly rare or unusual, except in my experience. 

I did some other shopping then went to Savers Preston which was also a great disappointment. A couple of good shirts with stains that just looked insurmountable. A keyboard behind the 'jewellery' counter which I waited to have a look at but after counting to 100 (a common way to restore equilibrium while figuring out how long I should reasonably wait) nobody came to show it to me so screw that, too. 

Perhaps the poor showing (of vendors) at CT&T is down to the weather; the papers are talking about a 'cold tongue' from Antarctica, and it was raining lightly this morning at various times. I can never tell whether a long weekend means more people looking for mindless leisure such as is offered by CT&T, or less. But I suppose to be honest when it comes down to it I mainly enjoy looking at stuff and I was not unhappy that I didn't have a bunch of crap in my hands when I got back home. 

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...