Friday, January 07, 2022

homicide episode 12, 'the decimal point'

This one is actually a pretty tight script and quite compelling. It could have been a decent film. It's essentially about four men who steal money and only one of them knows where it is hidden. The hiding place is threatened (it's going to be dug up for a dam) so he escapes and retrieves it. You don't need to know all the details, I mean, it's a good episode, watch it. 

The most interesting part of the episode IMO is the shots of Elgin St Carlton where the character of Lister, played by Owen Weingott, has his used car yard. 

Lister's car yard - Doran's tyre service was on the corner of Nicholson and Elgin. 

Humorous, I guess, moment when Lister sees the police coming and tries to drive off in one of the old bombs he sells, but the wheel comes off lol. 
This is the most interesting bit to me - a split-second shot of a tow-truck coming towards the car (for no obvious reason, he couldn't have called it, it comes about two seconds after his wheel falls off). the interesting bit is that this is a scene from the north side of Elgin, which was completely demolished a few years after this was filmed, for high-rise housing commission homes. 

I liked the fact that this was clearly (well, almost surely) people just assembling to look at some filming happening. But although they don't explain it in the show, it could just as easily be people assembling to see a car the wheel of which has fallen off. 

Weingott, by the way, had an amazing career and has one of the best-written wikipedia pages I've ever seen. Check it out just to see an artisan of wikipedia practicing their craft.  

Also in this episode (and by the way don't ask me, I know you were going to, why this text is right-aligned - blogger won't let me fix it) are Earl Francis, Jan Leeming,  who wikipedia reveals has had a career you couldn't make up,  Ronald Quinn, Roy Alexander (whose name for some reason I keep wanting to write as 'Royal Exander'), Nevil Thurgood, Kenric Hudson and  William Jeffries.

Oh, and there's a very strange exchange at the end which surely comes from someone saying 'we need twenty more seconds of dialogue - say something!' which is about breaking your sump going over a hump.      
Melbourne Age 4 February 1965 p. 29

No comments:

what think ye of monk

I have been watching a little bit of Monk lately. The show was on air between 2002-2009 and I never watched it then (as I recall) but I have...