Thursday, July 15, 2021

psykos i stockholm

Beautifully made, clever, frequently surprising and oddly gentle film about a mother and daughter who visit Stockholm from somewhere (else in Sweden) unspecified to celebrate the (name never revealed) daughter's 14th birthday, but on the way there the mother (whose name is also not revealed as I recall) becomes delusional and is hospitalised for doing something which we also don't see, at the airport. Now I start writing it down I guess what we don't see is almost as important as what we do. But still. This is obviously problematic for the daughter but it is also, surprisingly, somewhat liberating and she spends some days in this beautiful, splendid, rich city dodging problems and looking after herself and exploring some things she couldn't have had her mother been there with her including the mystery of her father. 

The only thing I would object to is that towards the end I think it veers a little close to a heavy handed challenge to our perceptions of reality - but I won't let this be a negative criticism - I said it veers a little close to it, not that it does it. The poster, which has a kind of a Hitchcockian feel to it, is not indicative of the content of the film exactly but it still seems oddly appropriate. 

No comments:

what think ye of monk

I have been watching a little bit of Monk lately. The show was on air between 2002-2009 and I never watched it then (as I recall) but I have...