Thursday, December 03, 2020

auburn road the other day #2

So this building used to be the butchers (and the newsagent obviously also once was a butcher too, but that was long before my/our time). I actually had a kind of cringey, visceral response to this building because I remember (a) it used to be a butcher and (b) the butcher's apprentice cut his finger off in one of the meat slicing machines (and had it sewn back on). But I went in anyway because for once I thought - for no reason - I deserve a treat. I didn't deserve a treat. But that was what I thought. 

This quinoa and cauliflower salad was actually really, really good. I was very impressed. The owner (?) called me 'sir' too, quite a lot I'm not entirely sure why. 

One of the houses in Auburn Road had been demolished and it's amazing how big the lots are on the western side of the road. They're paddock-sized. Which I guess is how, fifty years ago, people found it expedient to demolish nice big houses (I assume there were all nice big houses down the road - maybe some were vacant blocks) and build endless units, as per the below:

Of course the 2020 version of same is this kind of dogshit:
I just want to say: I was once in a taxi going home to Scott Street past this house and the taxi driver said he used to live in this house and that it had a huge, hidden basement and he wondered if the owners knew. 

More soon... 

No comments:

what think ye of monk

I have been watching a little bit of Monk lately. The show was on air between 2002-2009 and I never watched it then (as I recall) but I have...