Monday, February 14, 2022

so close and yet so far


My computer really doesn't know me, despite the fact we spend probably about half of each day in close physical proximity. 

I bought its predecessor - or was it the one before its predecessor? Yes I think it was - at the airport en route to New Zealand, and I suppose I must have first turned it on in Auckland in 2011 or thereabouts. Since that time google maps on every computer I have owned thinks I want /need/deserve 'google.co.nz'. It doesn't really matter - it's just weird. But that said for some reason additionally the computer, or google maps I'm not sure, thinks I am in Adelaide. Sometimes it tells other functions on the computer that I am in Adelaide. So, if I search for instance on 'restaurants near me', this (above) is the kind of thing I get.

Additional complaint: remember 18 months or so ago everything went good because it was suddenly so easy to get to this blog despite it being associated with an old email account, after it being so hard for so long? Well, now it's really difficult again because the computer had an upgrade (I think this is what happened) which meant that it now thinks I only have one email address, and it has decided that's my work email address. Am I dreaming this? It seems like it always wants to default to the same email, and I have to jump through some hoops, including it telling me (always) that one option is not presently available but I can try some others (which turn out to be all the options). 

Also, airdrop doesn't work anymore. I always thought airdrop was a bit dodgy, or that dodgy people could do dodgy things with it, but it was really useful for transferring pictures from my phone onto my laptop. No more. 

So the whole of computerworld is predicated on making computer functions kind of second nature so you're as likely to think 'I'm an idiot' as you are to think 'my computer has become an idiot'. Or, you don't quite know what's changed. It's ridiculous.

No comments:

what think ye of monk

I have been watching a little bit of Monk lately. The show was on air between 2002-2009 and I never watched it then (as I recall) but I have...