Friday, December 05, 2008

now i think about it...

once, when people said cannibal, you thought of that joke of the African (or New Guinean or whoever) tribespeople with the missionary in the cooking pot, but now you probably think of pained and intense (and no wonder) Aryans. So perhaps in one sense putting that La de das (I've finally got it, though I'm not sure of the capitalisation) album cover there with the purloined picture of Angelfood McSpade, the Robert Crumb character of the 60s, was a bit iffy but hell that's the album cover and it's a great album. Angelfood McSpade was perhaps a cannibal though as she did (if I remember correctly) promote a product that purported to be manufactured from the organs of others of her race.

I have a little collection (well, a list really) of Australian appropriations of Crumb. He was certainly very popular with the student press in the 70s here and I guess a lot of people figured the work was there to be reprinted. I had the pleasure of doing a quick email interview with Crumb a few years ago and I asked him about that. He said he didn't care. Maybe he even liked it.

I am still trying to figure out what Crumb meant, however, in the Australian context.

No comments:

what think ye of monk

I have been watching a little bit of Monk lately. The show was on air between 2002-2009 and I never watched it then (as I recall) but I have...