Saturday, August 07, 2010

laconicrap

So I get on a bus in Lonsdale st just near swanston and ask if it goes to Lygon. The bus driver is classically laid back. At least he says ‘excuse me?’ but it’s an ‘excuse me’ that is, essentially, a cross between ‘are you looking for a punch in the face’ and ‘excuse me for not giving a flying fuck that you’re talking to me’. And so I repeat and he says ‘yeah’, then as if to underline the first emphatic affirmation he’s made all day, he slams the door shut on the foot of the schoolgirl behind me, who says a different ‘excuse me’, but followed by ‘ow’. Kids being what they are, she takes it as her due apparently.

Not quite so laconic but the usual western way of pushing things along with little result. I went to Inferno the video shop to get a copy of Metropolis. Do you have Metropolis, I ask. No, but it’s easy to get, is the answer.

Luckily I had my flame thrower!!!

As if I would even think about getting annoyed about that response, until later. But it is annoying. I know, why don’t I traipse around ten more fucken shops! Just to add to the general usefulness, the customer at the counter who has been there for ten minutes filling out some freakin order, says ‘I have that at home.’

Thank you, my good man. And here was me thinking it was my duty and privilege to soon be the only person to own a copy of Metropolis. Oh, were you going to offer to lend me your copy? No? Didn’t think so. Never had such a non-useful set of exchanges.

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...