Sunday, May 23, 2010

jughead's setup



I have never seen any Archie strip or show where the group The Archies is included in a story. The clip above emphasises this, since it begins with Betty diarising that she had just heard a great new song on the jukebox and it is instantly revealed that the song is by her band and she plays on it. I always thought Betty was a little more devious than she seemed, though what her game was here I can't imagine.

Jughead runs like a monkey, as we see but he has a very idiosyncratic drumming style (unlike a monkey's). In one shot he is only playing the snare. In the group shot towards the end I am not sure he even has a snare; he has a huge kick drum, possibly the cymbal we see earlier, and a tom. Note that Jughead's kick drum is so big it would virtually obscure him from the audience, but that Reggie and Archie wear their instruments high, Bill Wyman or Mark King style, to show crotches.

Interesting fact from Wikipedia's Archies article:

'Contrary to popular belief, although the verses of Jingle Jangle are supposedly sung by either Betty or Veronica (the only two female members of the fictional group), in reality, it was not performed by any female vocalist, rather it was Dante using a falsetto voice as evidenced by the lyrics "It's my true heart I'm showin'/or my nose would be growin'/you know that it gets longer when I lie".'


'Dante' is Ron Dante, the singer on most (all?) Archies records. I assume this wikiwriter is suggesting it is only men whose noses grow when they lie, thus showing him or herself an adherent to Freud's phallo-nasal theories of noses being like dicks and lies being like sexual stimulii.

Also I note in the last moments of that clip they are actually playing to a live audience! I thought they never played live, being cartoons.

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...